TV HOST CLINTON KELLY HAS A FEW WORDS FOR YOU FASHION FLOPS.
1. “Texas Tuxedo.” Heard of it? That’s what Kelly calls denim jackets with denim pants. It used to be OK as long as the denims didn’t match. But since you’re not wearing light-wash jeans now (RIGHT??!), one denim item per outfit, please.
2. Track suits: Kelly says no, unless you’re over 65 and fitness-walking around the mall. Or if you’re J.Lo.
3. Puh-leeze ... no public makeup touch-ups. You look tacky. And when you do this in the car, you’re a danger to everyone else, too. As Kelly says, “They have mirrors in the bathroom for a reason.”
4. Scrunchies: Acceptable to hold your hair back when you’re barfing. Don’t even think about these in public.
5. Horizontal stripes: only if you’re model tall and thin or you are a clown for a living. For the general population, it makes you look shorter and wider ... not good.
Let’s work from the ground up
Shoe sins abound; here are some Kelly fixes.
After wandering the malls, we realize footwear fashion needs to be addressed. Here are some of Clinton Kelly’s tips about shoes from his new book, “Oh No She Didn’t: The Top 100 Style Mistakes Women make and How to Avoid Them.”
Rain or snow and open-toed shoes? That’s not only bad fashion, it’s just not comfortable.
And here’s what Clinton says about cross-trainers. “They epitomize middle-of-the-road and a complete disregard for style in general. … If you are actively participating in a step class or working as a gymnastics coach, (fine). But you’re not. You’re at the mall! You’re at the airport! You are everywhere except at the gym.”
Yes, you want to be comfortable as you hike around the mall or make the Saturday rounds running errands. Do it in a nonathletic sneaker or comfortable boots.