L IMA — West Market Street was once a hub of activity in town. Anna Selfridge, curator of archives and manuscripts at the Allen County Historical Society, discovered notes from her grandfather, newspaperman Oliver Boston Selfridge Jr. He had given a historical talk on the subject of West Market Street in the 1920s, and her father, attorney Oliver Brice Selfridge, added to the piece. Anna Selfridge has explored this subject again and written “A Walk on West Market: The South Side,” in an issue of The Allen County Reporter. A glimpse into the south side of West Market Street:• The Quilna Theatre in about 1950
It was just west of the Trinity United Methodist Church. The building was first built as a Studabaker/Maxwell repair shop in 1917. In 1919, it was remodeled under the plan of architect Walter DeKalb for the Shawnee Amusement Co. for $40,000. It opened as the Regent Theatre. It became the Quilna Theatre in 1922. In 1970, Trinity United Methodist Church bought the site and demolished the building for space for church expansion.• The Karns apartmentsâ€¨stood on the 400 block
This photo was taken in the late 1930s. Josiah S. Karns bought a house on that land and planned to remodel it. Karns had come to Lima from Maryland and ended up marrying Ben Faurot's sister, Tillie, in 1867. They didn't have children. Karns, who was associated with the Lima Machine Works, had the home razed and the “modern” apartments built. The apartments were remodeled in 1935 — which removed the Victorian-style embellishments. In their day, they had third-floor servants' quarters, gingerbread, ornate fireplaces with gas heaters and walnut woodwork. The apartments were razed in 1957.
• The Carnes house was at 315 W. Market St., and this photo is from about 1910The house had a troubled past. In 1873, childhood illnesses and problems during childbirth nearly wiped out the Alfred F. Schwab family. One of the surviving sons ended up at Toledo State Hospital. Alfred Schwab sold the house after these tragedies. Only one child survived and was successful. The next owner of the house was Ira P. Carnes, and the tragedies continued. His first wife died of consumption (tuberculosis), and he remarried. Two of the three children died very young. The remaining child, John Robb Carnes, lived into old age and was a longtime Allen County Historical Society trustee.• Mad Anthony was an oyster saloon. This ad from 1862 entices Lima's citizenry to stop in — and a special room for the ladies was “fitted up expressly for their reception, where they will be waited on by Mrs. Anthony,” the ad reported. Lima had several oyster bars from the late 1850s as it was quite a fad. Mad Anthony's was on the northeast corner of the Public Square. • The Overland Building, pictured in 1957. It was designed by McLaughlin & Hulsken, with a sales floor in front and offices and repair area in back. It held a Willys-Overland dealership, L.T. Stallkamp Inc. (tires), Johnson Motor Sales (Packards), Hawisher Motors, Studabaker Sales and Service and Ohio Power. In the 1950s, it was home to Sears and Roebuck. It's now a Goodyear garage.• Piper's Grocery, pictured at the turn of the last century. The business was located in a business block on the southeast corner of Market and Elizabeth streets. The grocery later changed hands and became Piper's Grocery until the 1920s. The building was razed in the late 1990s to make room for the Wingate Inn.• Market Street Presbyterian Church, pictured just after it was built. In 1879, church trustees bought the lot on the southeast corner of Market and West streets. The church's architect was from Saginaw, Mich., and it was built by local J.R. Mowen. The new church was dedicated July 4, 1880, and was used by the congregation until they built new at Cole and Market streets in 1954. The church was later demolished and a Central Savings Association built on the site.• The Jacob Wise home at 407 W. Market St., pictured at 1888. The inset is the Business Women's Club, pictured in the early 1900s. The home was first owned by Shelby Taylor, a banker. In 1876, he sold to Jake Weis or Wise, a clothing sller. After Wise's death, the house was owned by many wealthy men. It was sold to the Business Womens' Club, who leased it to evangelical preacher Billy Sunday.