LIMA — The history of the GMC truck can be traced to the Reliance and Randolph, two companies that were purchased by GMC. In 2007, GMC was GM's second-largest selling North American vehicle division after Chevrolet and ahead of Pontiac. GMC introduced their 1/2-ton trucks in 1936. Prior to this, GMC made only larger trucks. The company noticed Ford and Chevy selling smaller trucks, and they decided to try their luck at smaller trucks. The pickup was no longer for work purposes only. GMC designers made several changes in 1971 with nicer interiors, more padding and insulation, carpet, chrome trim and upper and lower side molding. This was also the first year for the AM/FM radios being factory installed. The brakes were switched from drum brakes to disc brakes. In 1972, the most noticeable change was the rear view mirror was glued to the windshield instead of being bolted to the top of the cab.
John Bilopavlovich, of Lima, owns this 1972 GMC Pickup 4-wheel drive. He purchased it from his brother in 1984, and he had used it as a work truck. This truck actually plowed snow during the blizzard of '78. In the fall of 1989, Bilopavlovich started restoring it. These days he just shows it and rides around on nice days.