By Barb Brahm
April 4, 2014
Spring is here and it is time to get up and get moving! Here are some fun ways to get some exercise in your day.
• Get up 30 minutes early each morning, and take a brisk walk to start your day.
• Hand-wash your car; it will save you money and cost you calories.
• Do household chores or projects, such as mopping the kitchen floor, while watching television; avoid the couch potato syndrome.
• Walk to do errands that are only a few blocks away; ride your bike to work or to a friend’s home (if it is safe).
• During your lunch hour or coffee break, walk around your building; burn energy rather than being tempted to snack.
• Walk your dog or cat on a leash.
• Rake leaves in the spring, summer, and fall; do some backyard gardening.
• Take the stairs instead of the elevator; walking up stairs is a great calorie-burner and wonderful for your heart.
• Using a lawn mower, instead of the power mower.
• Walk around and burn calories while talking if you have a cellphone.
• Making homemade bread without the machine; kneading the dough by hand uses up calories.
• Park at the far end of the parking lot to get a longer walk to work; get off the bus one stop ahead of your destination, so you can walk the rest of the way.
• Plan an active family vacation or weekend, rather than a sedentary one; instead of sitting in a beach chair, go canoeing, hiking or skiing.
It really is easy to build some activity in your day. You just have to DO it!
Barb Brahm is an OSU Extension Educator/FSC Delaware County.