Teen enters not guilty pleas in alleged rape of 90-year-old

March 23, 2012

LIMA — Over the objections of his grandfather in the courtroom gallery, a 14-year-old boy accused of breaking into the home of a 90-year-old woman and raping her entered not guilty pleas to all charges against him.Maurice McGill is charged with rape, aggravated robbery, aggravated burglary and abduction. McGill, who was 13 at the time of the alleged crimes last summer, was ordered to remain in custody on a $100,000 bond.He is charged in the Aug. 13 home invasion and rape of a 90-year-old woman at a home in the 200 block of Haller Street. A male knocked on the woman’s door at 9:30 p.m. and forced his way in as she answered, then raped her, police said.McGill’s grandfather raised his hand early in the hearing to get the judge’s attention and asked for the hearing to be stopped. Judge Glenn Derryberry told him he was not the parents and only could serve as an observer. A short time later, he started speaking up again and was ordered out of the courtroom by security.“This shouldn’t be happening. He’s a juvenile. You know better,” the grandfather said while pointing at Derryberry.McGill has been in custody since the day after the alleged rape on unrelated crimes from other alleged incidents, including robbery. None of the other crimes accuse him of rape, police said. He was indicted under Ohio’s Serious Youthful Offender law which allows prosecutors to seek an adult sentence, if convicted, should he get in trouble in the juvenile system. He cannot be tried as an adult since he was under the age of 14 at the time of the crime, which is the cutoff. Under the youth law, should he be convicted, he would be sentenced to a prison for children no longer than his 21st birthday. But should he get in trouble while in a prison, he could be transferred to the adult prison system to serve an separate sentence.As an adult, McGill would face a maximum penalty of 35 years in prison.Assistant Allen County Prosecutor Chris Steffan asked for the $100,000 bond.“Due to the serious nature of the charges and his history with this court. He has failed to appear on several occasions,” she said.After the hearing, McGill was allowed to hug his parents and stepmother before returning to the detention center with tears running down his face. The only time he spoke in court was to answer questions from the judge on whether he understood his rights, to which he said, “Yes sir.”Police linked McGill to the alleged home invasion rape using DNA analysis. You can comment on this story at

13-year-old rapist sent to prison