SHAWNEE TOWNSHIP -- Two people waiting for their children at a local dance studio were taken to the hospital after lightning from Thursday evening's storm surged through a basement and shocked them.
The parents were in the basement at Jeanne's Dance Studio, 2788 Oak Hill Court, when lightning struck just after 6 p.m.
"In the basement, they were having dance practice classes," said Platoon Chief Todd Truesdale, of the Shawnee Township Fire Department. "We had two parents waiting on their kids, sitting in chairs. When the lightning struck, they felt the shock."
Both parents, whose names were not available late Thursday, were taken to St. Rita's Medical Center for observation because such electrical shock can cause disturbances with their heart rhythm within 24 hours, Truesdale said.
Information on their conditions was not available; however, Truesdale said, "They both seemed to be doing fine. But it definitely got their attention."